Pages

Friday, June 11, 2010

Faithful In the Little Things?

"He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much.

Luke 16:10 (NASB)

Jonathan and I have had an interesting time of things since we moved to Springfield. When we first moved here last August, neither of us had a job or any promise of one and I was pregnant. We felt that we had come by God's leading and we waited to see how He would come through for us.

And we waited.

And we waited.

And we got on food stamps.

And we waited.

Finally, in October I believe, Jonathan started a job answering phones and enrolling people in medicare. It was only temporary though, maybe through December, maybe January... That job payed decently and helped us get through that time. Then as the end of that one drew near, Jonathan searched for another job.

And searched.

And searched.

And another food stamps application.

And searched.

"Coincidentally", he met the ink supplier for our church while he was there working on ministry stuff for church, they hit it off, and Jonathan was offered a job with their company...

...it would pay $600 a month! (Just FYI, our rent and bills at the time totaled a little over $900 a month).

Jonathan took that job since he had no other offers at the time and we needed some source of income, but we struggled a bit because we "needed" more money that.

The business he works for is a small one and he has flexibility so that he can take college courses, be involved with ministry at our church, and still see Noah and me in the evenings. It has been a tremendous blessing in that sense, but him and I have both struggled with the money aspect. What if our car breaks? What if we get pregnant again soon? What about when his Pell Grant refund runs out?

And then our church offered us the opportunity to live in a small house next door that used to be the food pantry. God works in such amazing ways!

And now I have begun to struggle again. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing to be earning more than we spend on a monthly basis. But what about extra? Just a
little teeny weeny bit... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease, Lord? I don't need like a million dollars! Just a little extra to put in savings, save up for a house, save up for emergency situations, save up for a mini-van, buy curtains, buy a bookshelf, buy our own dining room table, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. Okay, so maybe a thousand or two :). But that's not too much, is it God? Just a little teeny bit!

The things I want aren't outrageous. I don't need a BMW (which is too small) or a 14 bedroom house (which is to big to clean) or even to win the lottery (which is rather hard to do when you don't gamble and don't have money for tickets even if you wanted to do so!) Just the things that "normal" people have. Just the things that other people I know have. Just little conveniences. Just things to make my home and my life more home-y and enjoyable.

"He who is faithful in a very little thing..."

Am I faithful where I'm at and with what I have? Do I put God first every day? No. Do I intentionally seek to bless the lives of others with the little that we have? Not really. Do I wake up every morning and thank God for what I
do have? Not consistently at all! Then why would I expect to have more? Why would God have reason to give me things that I want if it will bring no glory to Him and His biggest priority (because He's God and it's okay) is His glory?

I'm not saying that if I consistently do the things I just mentioned and become a flawless Christian (do those even exist?) that He will most definitely give me more stuff. He may just decide to challenge me even more! Who knows but Him? What I'm saying is that He provides everything that I need and I, as His child, am commanded to be content and to be faithful regardless of whether He ever decides to bless me with more or not!

"And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus" Philippians 4:19 (KJV)

What do I NEED (in order of importance)?

1. Jesus
2. Water
3. Food
4. Clothing (although amount and styles are not of great importance when considering NEEDS only)

God doesn't ever even promise us a roof over our head, I don't think. (If you find a Scripture that says differently, let me know!) Ultimately, we need Him, which the Bible confirms over and over and over, and in Matthew 6, He addresses the issues of food, drink, and clothes. Period!

Looking at it from that perspective, I have WAY more stuff than I actually need!

Maybe we as a culture should begin to re-evaluate the word "need" in our lives and how we use it. "I NEED a new car." "I NEED a bigger house." "I NEED that shirt." "I NEED those $50 tennis shoes." "I NEED a Pepsi." "I NEED a 42-inch plasma, surround sound, high-def TV." "I NEED a Blackberry."

What do you NEED? Is it really a want? Is it something that you need to surrender to God and be content without? Not that having things is wrong, but if God knows that you'll be closer to Him the less things you have, doesn't He have good reason to limit your stuff?

I believe that is what He is doing in my life, and when I really think about it, I am grateful! He has blessed me with food, water, clothes, my sweet husband and baby, and most importantly, His precious blood that gives me life! So I will learn to be content and faithful with little. I may have to relearn this lesson 5 kajillion more times over the course of my life, but by God's grace, I
will learn it, and I hope you will too!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you both. Keep up the good work and I know God will bless you over and over again. I count my blessing every day.
    God Bless you all three. G. Great gram.

    ReplyDelete